Table of Contents
When taking the first important step toward recovery—the conscious decision to obtain treatment for drug or alcohol addiction—there are some things to consider before deciding on the type of rehab that is best suited for your unique situation. Each person struggling with addiction will have specific features associated with their personal substance use disorder. Because no two addiction stories are alike, a variety of rehab programs exist to offer many options for care.
For example, some addicts may have a long-standing co-occurring mental wellness disorder, such as depression, anxiety, or an eating disorder. Others may have only recently become hooked on painkillers. Still others may have a poly-substance disorder where multiple drugs are being abused. There are specialized rehabs that will align with each of these very different addiction scenarios.
For individuals with a long history of heavy alcohol or drug abuse, a residential rehab is the best pathway for successful recovery. Residential drug treatment programs in California cover a wide range of treatment philosophies, locales, amenities, and services, providing the opportunity to find a rehab that best suits your recovery needs and goals.
What to Look For in Residential Drug Treatment Programs in California
If you have determined that a residential program is the best fit for your recovery needs, it helps in the selection process to know what constitutes a high quality rehab. Residential drug treatment programs in California may share a common goal of assisting individuals towards living a sober life in recovery. However, the methods they practice, the licensing they hold, and the standards they adhere to can vary significantly.
When deciding on a residential rehab, consider these features:
- Do they offer residential detox
- Are they licensed by the state (Department of Health Care Services for Substance Use Disorders), or other licensing such as CARF or Joint Commission (dual diagnosis)
- How they protect client privacy
- Do they treat co-occurring mental wellness issues (if relevant)
- Do they utilize evidence-based treatment approaches
- Are they a 12-step or non 12-step based program (per personal preference)
- What practitioners are present on site
- What psychiatric professionals are present on site (for dual diagnosis)
- Ask to see a daily/weekly/monthly schedule of therapies and activities
- As about nutritional services
- Do they offer family therapy
- Ask about adjunctive therapies (i.e., DBT skills training, EMDR, holistic activities)
- Do they provide continuing care services
Residential Detox Services at Residential Rehabs
One of the many benefits of selecting a residential rehab over an outpatient program is the convenience of undergoing the detox process on the premises. Residential detox involves the individual processing through the stages of detox and withdrawal while under the supervision of a trained detox professional. Withdrawal symptoms can be highly uncomfortable and, in the case of alcohol detox or benzo detox, can present sudden health risks. The detox team is trained to monitor vital signs and to intervene in an urgent health event.
In a detoxification the individual will experience unpleasant withdrawal symptoms that vary based on the substance of abuse. These withdrawal symptoms indicate the central nervous system and brain chemistry is attempting to stabilize while the drug is being withheld. The detox team provides support to help ease the symptoms, as well as offer psychological support throughout the detox process.
Treatment Elements in Residential Rehab
Detox is only the first step in the recovery journey. It is not realistic to believe that once detox is completed you are good to go. Powerful cravings and ingrained addiction behaviors will quickly upend any attempt to remain clean and sober. For these reasons it is imperative to complete an extended stay in a residential rehab where coping skills, new thought/behavior patterns, and stress-reduction exercises are taught.
A high quality residential rehab will offer a comprehensive menu of therapeutic activities scheduled throughout the day that are designed to compliment each other and promote healing and personal growth. These will include:
- Psychotherapy. Talk therapy is beneficial in addiction treatment, as it allows clients to explore past or present issues that are psychologically painful. This one-on-one therapy also helps clients examine self-sabotaging thought patterns that have fueled substance abuse, and replace these with new constructive patterns.
- Group work. Peer-based therapy sessions and recovery meetings allow clients to bond with others while sharing individual stories of past struggles. These group therapy sessions are facilitated by a clinician who guides discussion towards sharing ideas and offering support.
- Family counseling. Because the family is such an essential source of support it is helpful to enlist their involvement in their loved one’s treatment. Healing past pains, broken trust bonds, and dysfunctional communication practices can be initiated in family therapy.
- Classes. Rehabs provide classes that teach clients how addiction develops on a neural/physiological level, which can help deter future substance abuse. Classes to plan strategies for avoiding relapse, to teach coping skills and life skills are also offered.
- Recreational therapy. Activities that compliment the traditional therapies might include such things as exercise programs, outdoor activities, art and music therapy, yoga classes, and mindfulness training. These activities enhance feelings of competence, self-esteem, and self-empowerment that can augment treatment.
Aftercare Recovery Services Following Rehab
An important, and often overlooked, treatment element on the recovery continuum is continuing care. After leaving rehab it can be difficult to adjust to life in recovery. By accessing aftercare services the chances of a sustained recovery are greatly increased. These include sober living housing, weekly outpatient therapy, and 12-step recovery groups.
Ken Seeley Communities and Rehab Provides Residential Treatment in Palm Springs
Ken Seeley Communities is one of the leading residential drug treatment programs in California. With a full spectrum of addiction treatment services available in a tight-knit, supportive environment, Ken Seeley Communities offers the highest caliber of care using both traditional evidence-based therapies and innovative methods. For more information about our residential treatment program, please contact Ken Seeley Communities today at (877) 744-0502.